Corbin did awesome with the catheter! He barely even cried. I was very impressed, and very relieved. The results of this last procedure confirm that Corbin does have urinary reflux (it was so obvious, that even I could easily see it on the x-ray machine). Corbin's doctor called today and explained it all to us. In a normal body, the ureter (which connects the kidney to the bladder) enters the bladder at an angle, so that after urine passes into the bladder the ureter closes off so that the urine cannot travel back up the ureter. For Corbin, the ureter enters the bladder straight on, so it never closes off, which allows urine to make its way back up the ureter and back into the kidney. This puts him at a high risk for urinary tract infections, so it is definately a good thing that he has been on amoxicillin since his birth. I imagine he will be on it for quite a while longer. Sometimes this condition requires surgery, but othertimes it does not. We have made an appointment to see the pediatric urologist so that he can give us an idea of what the next step will be.
The urologist is the same one that we saw when I was pregnant, but since that time he left the office he was at (which was a part of The Childrens Hospital) and started up his own practice. Because of this, he is no longer in network with United Healthcare (he was before when we saw him because he was under The Children's Hospital, and the accepted UHC) This means that he has had to apply to get in network with UHC, and they said they will hear back on October first whether or not he is accepted into their network. So I went ahead and made the appointment for the first, and we will just hope that he gets in network. If not, there is another urologist that we can go to, we were just hoping to see this one because we really liked him.
Well, that is about all I have time to write, right now. Corbin is fussing, and it is time for his dinner.
Smell ya later.
Friday, September 07, 2007
the results
Posted by Unknown at 9:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Thanks for the update. We've all been waiting on pins and needles. I'm glad Corbin tolerated the catheter well, and I'm glad that now you at least know the exact problem and can go from here to get it taken care of. Hopefully he will be one of the ones that doesn't need surgery.
Post a Comment