Friday, July 11, 2008

I've been summoned

A couple of days ago I got a surprise in the mail...a jury summons. I have to go in on Aug. 6. Does anyone know about how long a summons lasts? I'll have to find a sitter for Corbin.

4 comments:

mamagee said...

That's what you get for being patriotic and registering to vote. I had to do jury duty one time and got a rape case. Not fun - and I was seven months pregnant. Thought I might get excused - no such luck.

Lumpy said...

it all depends on if you get selected as a juror. i got summoned last year and my trial actually ended in settlement so i didnt end up having to participate. i only had to spend a few hours in the morning at the courthouse getting instructions and waiting etc.

Jay Butterfield aka Bob Roberts/ Rex aka T-Rex Man said...

"summons" just means you are being ordered to appear. Like kyle said, it depends on whether you are selected as a juror, and that depends on whether the cases they have you assigned to actually go to trial. so many cases are pled out at the last minute, so that is why they have you call the night before. You better plan on at least all day, and possibly more than one day, depending on the type of case. Many civil cases go 7 to 10 days; criminal are usually less and are often just one day.

Rachael said...

Gosh, they seem to be hitting everyone around here right now. I was called up for last Friday, but didn't end up having to go, so hopefully you'll get lucky and get cancelled too.