Sunday, May 20, 2007

Castlewood Canyon

It's been a really fun weekend. My old roommate Jasmine, and her hubby and their son, came to Denver for a quick visit. We decided to go spend Saturday at a state park near by called Castlewood Canyon. We brought up our little portable grill and made burgers and brats, and then we walked around on some of the easier trails. It was so nice to be able to spend so much time outdoors. I just love summertime. The mountains here are about a two hour drive away, so it was nice to find out that there is a canyon just 40 some-odd minutes from our house. Castlewood Canyon is famous for a dam that broke there in 1933, and sent billions of gallons of water towards Denver. We tried to hike to the dam, but it was a lot further than we thought, so we never got there. Clark and I will have to go see it another time. But we did go see this really cool house that was made purely out of concrete.




Check out how low the door is. It is a good thing I am so short. I had about 3 inches of clearance.


There were some wild lilac bushes growing just behind the house, and they smelled sooo good.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did Jasmine go with you to the canyon? Loved the pics! Don't you wish you knew the history behind that cement house?? I hear your Dad and Troy stopped in today. Glad they got to visit! We had lots of fun back East celebrating Chads graduation.

Travis Butterfield said...

That's Hector's House! Did you find any molasses or scissors there? Wow. Creeeeeeepy.

p.s. ask Dad about Hector. He'll tell you the story. Frankly, I can't remember it very well. But, it used to scare me when I was young.

Unknown said...

Mom,
Jasmine and her little boy Michael came to the canyon with us. Her husband had a thing in Denver all day so he didn't come.
Dad,
who is this Hector that Travis is talking about?

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, Hector was a murderer who once lived in a house down in Riverton. The story goes that he murdered people with scissors and lived on potato chips and molasses. I was way too young to ever go to Hectors but some of my older family members went to the house when it was vacant and there was still some potato chips and molasses. Pretty scary stuff for a pre teenager. Especially when the older teenagers laid it on pretty thick. Now some people bought the old house and built a new house on to it. Hmmm I wonder if there is still evidence of potato chips and molasses? Oh I am so afraid!!!
Dad

Unknown said...

wow. sounds like hector was like the boo radley of riverton. what a funny story