Tuesday, September 09, 2008

what happened?

Over the last month Corbin has changed from a happy smiling baby, to a crying, tantrum throwing toddler. It's one tantrum after another. I feel like the phrase should be terrible ones, instead of terrible twos. I am starting to lose my patience. I think Corbin is just really frustrated that he can't communicate the way he wants to, and that he still can't quite get around the way he would like. Does anyone out there in the blogging world have any advice on how to deal with all this screaming and crying?

9 comments:

Jasmine said...

I have the king of tantrums here, and it isn't my 2 year old. Yes, it's Siah, my little 15 month old. He actually can communicate pretty well... when he wants to. But he seems to prefer the tantrums. Just make sure you take a time out- let Clark and Corbin have bonding time!

DannyHollie said...

Ooh. I know exactly how you feel. The thing that has helped us the most is the Baby signing books and videos. Tate and Tucker are both champion tantrum throwers but if they can sign what they need or want, the tantrum is much shorter and less violent. Tucker still signs for things when he can't think of the word to use- and he just turned 3. I would go to the library or get online and see what books and videos are available. It really does help when they can tell you why they're upset. Putting them in their crib and walking away is always an option too- If it gets to be too much, put him somewhere safe where he can't hurt himself or the furniture and just let him scream it out. Sometimes they just need to let off all that extra energy and you need to get away before you want to throw him off the roof or do something drastic like sell him on ebay. (at least that's how I feel) I wish I could scream and throw myself on the floor sometimes too. Good Luck Stace- I think Toddlers are the most fun when they are affectionate and learning to talk and walk but they can also be the worst. It must be super frustrating trying to figure out the whole world and having everyone tell you NO! I totally sympathize. Good Luck! :)

Lumpy said...

man whats the deal coybin! - - sounds like youve got your hands full stacer. good luck

mkchilds said...

so i didn't read the other responses before i type this one, so if i repeat then here is another witness!! I do realize that i don't have monkeys of my own, but they are my life and all that is in my head educationally....so you get my ideas.
Just cause they say terrible twos, but the 'terribles' as you may totally depend on your kid and their development. You are totally right that he is frustrated with not being able to communicate, that is a huge part. As for this one helper is to use sign language--you can make up your own--just as long as you Clark and Corbin know, that's whats important.
Another large part of it is also what you said, he wants to do more than he is capable--so very normal!! The help with this is make sure that things he will want to play with that you are good with him playing with are easy enough he can do it himself without aid from you. Plan little activities he can do that will give him confidence in what he is doing and that he can do it himself.
sorry for the novel....this is what i do for a living, and what i am doing for an education, so i guess that's why.
email me or call me if you want....or if you think i am off my rocker, then disregard this record long comment! :)

mamagee said...

Staci,
With the foundation of love, teaching and caring that you and Clark have given Corbin he WILL out grow this stage. My little two cents of advice would be consistency! What ever plan you two decide on, be consistent. Even teenagers can't figure out what is going on when parents are not consistent. You guys have been such great parents I know without a doubt that Corbin has the best start in the world. And (okay, maybe three cents) if either you or Clark get too frustrated - walk away for a time or turn Corbey over to the other parent. We all need a break sometime or other. Normal, natural and okay!!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better! He will outgrow this phase...he's just growing and learning faster than he can handle! Take a deep breath..if you're alone, go in another room and pray for help, you'll be surprised the peace you will find.
Oh..P/S...my children NEVER had tantrums! ;)

Nichole said...

oh the tantrums...I swear by signing!! My sister in law teaches a signing class to babies and their moms and everyone in the class swears by it...they all say that the babies that learned sign were their most well behaved toddlers! I am fluent in ASL and I have taught Ava sign and we have a very few tantrums. Corbin would love the "Signing Time" videos...you can find them at signingtime.com or I'm sure your local library has some...very helpful...and if all else fails I would just buy some ear plugs!!

Unknown said...

thank you for all the wonderful advice!

Jay Butterfield aka Bob Roberts/ Rex aka T-Rex Man said...

Nyquill