Sunday, May 29, 2011

Royal Gorge Bridge

Memorial Day is quickly becoming my favorite holiday. For me, it signals that Clark's busy season is really and truly over, and that delightful summer vacations are on the horizon. This year, for the first part of the holiday weekend, we went to Royal Gorge Bridge in Canon City, CO. This has been on my to-do list since we first moved here. I was not disappointed. Royal Gorge Bridge is the highest suspension bridge in America (and one of the highest in the world, for that matter). I was a little worried that Corbin would freak out on the bridge. He's a little scared of heights. But, I worried for nothing. Corbin did great. He was nervous, but really brave. I was proud of him.


Incline railway that takes you down to the bottom of the canyon.

Looking up at the bridge from the bottom of the canyon.



Looking down at the Arkansas River, and a train approximately 900 feet below the bridge.
We stayed overnight in Canon City. The camping was not the greatest. There were many red ant hills and cacti all around our site. Within a couple of hours of setting up camp, Corbin ended up with a bunch of cactus needles stuck in his ankle. Poor kiddo. But, we did have a chance to try out our new tent. And it was awesome! The thing is huge. It should last us forever. Avery did great the whole weekend. She was such a little trooper. And she only woke up twice in the tent, which is not bad considering the fact that she is still waking up 1-2 times a night at home.


4 comments:

Lumpy said...

thats pretty incredible. glad you guys were able to go do stuff for the holday

Lindsay said...

that bridge is freaky. looks like you had lots of fun

Mom said...

Wow oh wow...Corbin is braver than I am! So happy you had a fun weekend! Little Avery is such a little trooper. Can't wait to see your new tent!

mamagee said...

It looks so much fun. Like I said before, sure wish we could have been there sharing the time with you - except for the red ants and the cacti! Did you happen to find my camera I accidently left there, oh, 15 or so years ago? Just checking! :)